Collagen Breakfast Smoothie
We often talk about lunch on the run, but we can be even more pressed for time in the morning – spending more time keeping the family moving than you are getting yourself ready!
This collagen breakfast smoothie is a brilliant and quick breakfast. Every ingredient supports healthy skin and can be part of any inside-out anti-ageing strategy.
The thinking behind this meal was to find ways of adding collagen to my meals. (Collagen is derived from animal products, so not suitable for vegetarians and vegans.)
Collagen provides the matrix that supports the body’s structure, including the skin, giving firmness and elasticity. As we age, we naturally produce less and this decline contributes to fine lines, loose skin and dryness.
Most of us don’t eat many collagen-rich foods, so supplementing into our diet can help improve skin texture and elasticity.
Depending on exact measurements, this comes in at around 350-400kcal, so not a very heavy breakfast, but I find that it is really filling and can easily keep me going until lunchtime.
Collagen Breakfast Smoothie Ingredients
- Collagen Peptide Powder (this one is from Healthy Spirit)
- 1/2 avocado
- 80g frozen blueberries
- 20g (or 1 dsp) creamed coconut (stand in hot water for 10 mins to soften)
- Blend the avocado and frozen berries with 50ml hot water (to defrost the berries, otherwise the coconut won’t blend – add more to get your preferred consistency)
- Add the Collagen Peptide Powder and blend again, adding more water as needed. This gives is a lovely smooth, thick texture.
- Lastly, add the creamed coconut and blend again.
- You can eat this straight away or it will keep long enough to eat when you get to work